Monday, May 24, 2010

Never saying NEVER, again...

Friends don't let friends have yard sales. I'm going to have a T-shirt printed up that says that very thing. Or better yet, have it tattooed on my forehead.

Why do we do it? And don't give me the "I made 300.00 at my last one." Oh yeah? What did you do...sell a kidney?

You work for two weeks getting ready, your home looks like a hoarder's paradise and you trip over "stuff" during the night. Then the day comes. People show up at 5:30 for a yard sale advertised 8-4:00, no early calls. Showing up at my house BEFORE I have coffee is a very dangerous thing to do. I'm just sayin'...

I don't mind those treasure-seekers as much as the ones who say, "You want a 10 cents for this? Will you take less?" Less? "Hmm...let me get my calculator."

Having yard sales isn't for sissy's, I can tell you. The worst part ...What you thought were treasures in the morning are by definition crap at the end of the day because you know you have to drag it all back into the house.

I tried putting it all on the curb with a sign that said, "FREE!" Some joker put another sign that said, "Keep it." Everybody's a comedian nowadays.

Do me a favor, would you? If I ever say I'm going to try it again, shoot me. On the spot. Kill me dead. Then hurt me. NEVER...EVER...AGAIN...and I mean it this time. I will ne---oh, would you look at that lamp! I bet it would bring a nice price!

Sigh...never say never.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chatty Lady said...

OMG! Been there, done that. The nonly way to sanely carry on a garage sale is when you can display your treasures (giggle) in a two car garage, then at the end of the day close the door, stuff left as is. The next day open the door and you're in business once again. Any other way is just asking for, no begging for trouble. And what if you have to pee or? All your stuff is out there all alone and vulnerable to passers by. Yep, garage sale inside garage or forget about it!!!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Carolyn Howard-Johnson said...

Oh, cripes. My sentiments exactly. Except I never would have been so funny. Of so happy about it.

Really...a tex deduction for junk at a charity will do.

But my advice, don't tell anyone you just gave an old box brownie camera to charity after you did it (or after you dold it at a garage sale for that matter.) I mean my friend got $1.50 for one and I'd have been grateful to her for life if she'd let me have a stab at it.

And I'd have given her two bucks for it, sure enough!

Best,
Carolyn

2:48 PM  
Blogger boomerco2008 said...

JJ, I'm with you on this garage sale thing...

The past two years I have managed to make a few bucks at a garage sale -- but what I did was give my stuff to my best gay friend. HE loaded it into has SUV and hauled it off to his place, where he managed the sale all by himself. And then he brought me a check at the end...

The way I figure it, it's totally possible that he could be ripping me off big time - I mean I have no oversight on the sale process once I had over the merchandise - but I really don't care. The stuff disappears from my house, and I get cash back...

A couple of months ago, he started up an antique mall, and he's planning on using one room in the building for a monthly garage sale. I say, bring it on...

The "stuff" will be in a room in an air conditioned (and heated) building, with bathrooms down the hall. Plus I don't even have to be there to get the stuff sold.

Can't beat it! (Maybe I can talk him into franchising his operations - then you can have one of these easy peesy garage sales in Athens... Deal?

Anne

5:46 PM  
Blogger Queen Jaw Jaw said...

wow...an inside yard sale. Hmmm...no...no, but yet...maybe. Oh Lord...why did you mention it!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Never had one. Never will. :)
But I did participate in a couple of the ones my neighbors had. One little table of stuff and had my kids in charge of it. They had fun. I got to watch from across the street.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Dotsie said...

Hysterical. I had one and will never have another. Regift the lamp. Don't even think about selling it.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...I happen to know you made a few bucks with this yard sale of yours...but sometimes even THAT compensation doesn't quite make up for all the weeks of agony prior to the sale spent organizing, pricing, dragging from room to room, setting up outside, advertising for, hoping for decent weather for..etc. Gee - looking at it THAT way I bet you LOST money!

Hugs
Pam

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home