Sunday, October 31, 2004

All Things NOW

Someone asked me what my favorite time was and I answered, “right this minute.” They looked at me as if the sauce from last night’s pizza was still on my face. If you aren’t living in the moment, then you’re losing out my friend. What do you have except right now? Do you know, for instance, that you will be here tomorrow? Don’t think so!

Last night I was sitting in a rocking chair holding my brand spanking new granddaughter, Lea. Oh sure, I should have been at home working on my next article which is due reallll soon…. but I chose to be there, with Lea. I memorized every inch of her face, including the adorable double chin she’s grown. Now we REALLY look alike. I played with her tiny little fingers, rubbed her tummy, and kissed the back of her neck. I was definitely in the moment. Would I have missed that just to write an article to gross the 300 bucks? (What? You don’t get paid that much?) Never! Would I do it all over again and run the risk of staying up late tonight to finish my masterpiece? Youbetcha! In a New York minute, and honey, that’s fast.

Besides, what’s to say you can’t do it all? I loved all over my grandbeauty, ate supper with my son and his adorable wife, and came home and finished my article. And I thanked God for my life…

Let me ask you something. Did you stop and trace the view in the sky yesterday evening as God painted it with the sunset? Did you actually smell your delicious coffee this morning? Did you notice the cuteness of your hubby’s tossed hair and sleepy eyes as he stumbled to the breakfast table? Did you?

Love is a talent just like anything else. It needs to be cultivated, brought to life, and used up. My favorite writer in the world said it better than I ever could when she said:

… "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and could say: 'I used everything You gave me.'" -- Erma Bombeck...

Peace—da Queen

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have great style. Not only are you funny, but sentimental too. I love the mix. Live life to the fullest!
Blessings,
Dotsie Bregel
www.boomerwomenspeak.com

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Queen...may I say that you and Erma have a LOT in common; your sense of humor and ability to express it, and your acknowledgement of the fact that we are here for such a short time and owe what time we DO have to His grace - we need to make the MOST of this time with as much style, humor, and empathy we can muster...otherwise we are just taking up space!

You Da Bomb.....you know I mean it....
Your Sister of the Heart
Pinki
http://pamelajunekimmell.com (yeah it's a plug!)

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this piece, "All Things Now." Made me appreciate what I have today. No one is guaranteed tomorrow and this story put everything in perspective!

Thank you, Georgia..

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one says it better then the Queen!
Loved it!
Robin

2:03 PM  
Blogger Donna J. Shepherd said...

Nice, JJ. Isn't the smell of a baby the most heavenly? I'm talking about a relatively clean baby, of course. *g*

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying every moment with the little angel.

300 buckaroos, huh? Someone's acknowledged your talent. You're worth every penny. ;)

Donna
Devotionals by DonnaHmm...I can plug, too. :)

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm here, don't take me off that Christmas list!! Well Queenie, just one more great article, another notch on your quill, but there won't be many more if you don't learn how to put that baby down, adorable or not. (I'm expecting my second great grandchild on or about the 11th December!!)
I've just been reading through an account written by a friend, of her three trip to Romania, to an orphanage there, it would break your heart, the children were so badly treated and abused. I'm going to set it up in book form for her, along with some photographs she took.
Keep up the good work, can you type with one finger while changing nappies (sorry, I meant diapers!)?
Jackie S Brooks.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rhodi Alers de López said...

Great way to put it, queen! It is so important to live the present and enjoy every moment God gives us. Thanks for reminding us in such a touching way. God bless.

Rhodi

2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how profound life becomes when you are holding your grandchild. Everyday things are suddenly reshuffled into an all new priority list. Love reading your work. And love you. Dinah

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home